Sewing, thrifting and the like...


Saturday 4 April 2015

Grey Clouds

I was very much on the fence about this skirt pattern to begin with, I loved how it looked on others, just wasn't sure if it was very me. I don't ever wear this shape or length. But the pattern called me, and so did the lovely Marilla Walker (she designed the Maya dress I blogged recently), and I thought what the heck...pattern queue be gone..and off I went into cloud land.



Marilla's new pattern is called the Evan skirt. It has a very 70's look if you choose the short version and 90's if you choose the longer grungier look! There are various cute little details which you can add. I went with the short length, front split and plain pocket details. I made it up in a size 5, which is pretty good. I have quite a thick waist in comparison to the rest of my measurements, the result of a jelly-belly post babies and a short torso. From my sizing, I ummed and ahhed about doing a size 6 but ultimately decided I didn't want much ease and went with a 5. If I was using a thicker fabric, I might have regretted that decision ;)


The fabric is a photorealism printed cotton drill that I bought at Spotlight in Hobart at Christmas. I have a real thing for clouds, clouds and trees. I do put a lot of cloud photos on instagram, sorry, but they are just so magical. So I am always on the look out for cloud fabric. This one is really lovely. Its actually quite thin, but really easy to work with. I used my new/old 1950's Singer machine for the seams and my old/new 2000's machine for the top-stitching. The old singer machine is so beautiful, it purrs, and I am addicted to sewing on it now. It just feels more real and homely and special, sorry, terrible wanky, but it does I SWEAR! Doesn't help that the newer machine needs a service, it carries on sewing for atleast 3stitches when my foot is off the peddle sometime...gives me and my fingers the hee-bee-jee-bee's!!


And yes I went with the pattern matching on the back pockets. Can you spot?


You can't see the pockets from a distance, but here is a close up! I only had a metre and a half of this fabric, and it wasn't very wide. The patterns calls for 1.5metres but that is without pattern matching! I literally had a handful of scraps by the end, which does warm my tree-hugging heart but was a bit brain-taxing! I knew that I couldn't match everything, so I went with the centre front seam, the centre back seam and the back pockets. These would have been the most obvious if I hadn't matched. The waistband and yoke make my eyes twitch a bit, but I suspect they will mostly be covered. Still pretty happy I managed to get whole clouds where I wanted!!



The skirt has these funky shaped pockets. Really love the angle, it's a little detail but it's rather cool. If you look at the technical drawing, there is an option for a pleat detail for both the front and back pockets. I didn't bother with this skirt because it would get lost in the pattern, but would definitely do it on a plain version. It's all sorts of fancy pants.

There is a very cute front slit. I really like the effect and it was pretty easy to do. I might add random slits to other seams on outfits from now on, just cos I know how! The fly zip and button went in pretty easily. I actually don't mind doing this jeans style zip anymore. Anyways I need some practise as I really want to make some jeans soon. 

The pattern is great. I really have been converted to this length/shape! Sometimes I need to be pushed out of my box I think!

I did struggle at times with getting my head around the instructions. I think this is because a) I am only a beginner and this is an intermediate pattern, and b) I am a very visual person so I do MUCH better if there is lots of pictures and sewalongs and stuff. Still, I figured it all out and therefore it can't be that hard, cos honestly I have no idea where I lost my brain, but it is long gone...
 

It's been pretty cool here the last few days. It's definitely Autumn, with a hint of Winter. The length of this skirt makes it great for layers with tights and socks and ankle-warmers (yep 80's child) and I reckon I will wear it lots and lots over the next few months. Hope the days are a little sunnier than the fabric mind you...

16 comments:

  1. That fabric! And your pattern matching... mwah! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun skirt! I love the print! The pockets really are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that fabric! and the skirt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is even more crazy awesome in person! That pattern matching at the back and the front is amazing :D Epic work, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ADORE this skirt Jen! Was so nice seeing it in person (and you in person) last night. The fabric is quirky and gorgeous and very you, and that pattern! Oh my! You know I do love me a good mid length a-line! Now I wish more than anything that the pattern came in my size!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you jumped out of your comfort zone with this one as it looks fantastic on you. Pattern matching is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pattern matching... Arg does my head in sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang girl! That pattern matching is on point. Love that fabric and skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when you try something new & discover it's totally your thing - makes sewing so much more interesting. I think that's what gets me addicted!
    I've often patted this fabric in Spotty it's lovely

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bow down to you, oh pattern matching queen!! Wow! I love that cloud fabric too - it looks so lovely as this skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the skirt! And I am in awe at your pattern matching - wow!!

    Heh I've been contemplating a sky-with-clouds dress, and I think seeing this has just bumped it up my things-I-want-to-make queue. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look amazing! I have cloud envy and I have mustard cowl envy. It's just all green over here. And you hid your boots!! Your amazing new boots. You need to show those babies off xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can’t see the back pockets …. where are the back pockets!!! that is skill ! Love the color combo of the outfit … I’m with jillian though - show off the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I love this skirt, what great details too. What colour is it, my screen seems to vary between grey and blue? Either way, itis damn funky, tres cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great skirt with precision matching and stitching and fit...who needs more? Clouds...love them and if you make this skirt again in a solid the details will be a breeze with less matching and more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Jen,
    Do you know the Cloud Appreciation Society? It was started by Gavin Pretor-Pinney, who wrote a couple of excellent books on clouds. I highly recommend getting one of his books if you are a cloud watcher.
    Cool skirt!
    Sarah in Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Hey, would love to hear from you, comment away my fine feathered friends....x jen